[afnog] Wireless Network

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jan 6 03:32:33 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 09:33:17 am Gaurab Raj Upadhaya
wrote:

> That matches my observation with trying to setup wireless
>  networks at various situations. Though, these days, you
>  can buy single unit systems with multiple radios and
>  thus increasing effective user connections. example is
>  Xirrus. http://xirrus.com/. We call them the UFOs. Helps
>  tremendously when you need to setup for high density
>  users.

I generally wouldn't recommend vendors on a public mailing
list in such variable matters as wireless deployments, but
given the scale you're considering, Aruba came to see me
once (uninvited, as usual), and they seemed to have some
rather interesting things to say re: their wireless product
portfolio, with particular regard to large scale
installations.

Our office uses some of their earlier kit along with the
controllers; no major drama (but that's way under 2,000
users).

http://www.arubanetworks.com/solutions/large_site.php

You might want to add them to your shopping list, but my
guess is the price point is way-up-there, what with their
controllers and all.

But be careful about "buying" everything they tell you (same
goes for other vendors). As others have mentioned, binding
assurances from them as well as PoC's (proof of concept)
before you sign would be great!

Cheers,

Mark.