[afnog] Wireless Network

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at skannet.com.ng
Tue Jan 5 21:24:42 UTC 2010

Hi Benjamin,

Over what area are these 2000 users concentrated? Are there walls etc?
If so, how many?

Must this network be implemented with JUST ONE wireless router?

With one router ... If you run 802.11bg at 2.4ghz, you have just about
2Mbps of bandwidth to play with, from one AP. If you deploy 802.11a at
5.8Ghz, you should get better than 10Mbps. If any of the clients is
802.11bg, the AP will default to 802.11bg, even if it is capable of
802.11a. With 2000 users, that is an average of 1Kbps or 5kbps at the
best per subscriber!! Could this be what you want?

To put it in a different way ... One single AP cannot do it.

Sunday.