[afnog] Recover Root Password on FC 11 and Missing GRUB Screen

Hosea Phiri phiri_hosea at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 08:50:05 UTC 2010

All,

I have a client who lost root password for his machine running FC 11. I made an attempt to recover password by trying to boot in single mode. I am familiar with editing the GRUB boot menu and appending "linux single" to make the server boot in single mode. Unfortunately the approach looks impossible on this machine.

The machine boots differently. I noticed one major thing that looked different from other versions of Fedora I have used before. It does not bring up the Grub menu. It does not even show the services startup. It goes straight into login prompt bypassing all other stages which I guess run from background.

Any I dea?

I am told this has just started after loss of this password. Looking forward to your usual useful tips.

Hosea