[afnog] Clustering Exim

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 13:55:52 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I am in the process of designing a mail platform whose one requirement is
high availability. My choice of MTA is Exim and OS is FreeBSD.

Has anybody attempted to cluster Exim on FreeBSD before? Any pointers they
can provide?

I'm looking at having an Active-Passive cluster whose message queues are
replicated across each node in the cluster. The active node would copy its
message queues over to the passive node or the passive node would copy the
queues from the active node so that incase of a failure on the active node,
the passive node can take over processing email.

This is an MTA cluster only. I am not providing pop/imap services on it.

any ideas?

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.