[afnog] Multi-link PPP on Cisco 1700

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Apr 3 10:45:03 UTC 2010

On Thursday 01 April 2010 09:53:59 pm muhump at mtn.co.ug
wrote:

> Does anyone have experience on this subject. Is it
>  possible to bundle two E1s on a 1700 to get a 4M link.
>  What IOS version do I need?

I just realized that this wasn't answered (well, not
publicly anyway).

You don't mention exactly which model of the Cisco 1700
series router you're using. However, ML-PPP is supported on
all iterations of this platform.

I'd suggest IOS 12.3(26) - checked on the 1750 router, one
of the more common ones. Should be the same if you have
another model.

Of course, the router's ability to sustain this capacity (as
well as perform the multilink load balancing) is something
you'll need qualify in the field.

Cheers,

Mark.