[afnog] Challenges in the African Continent

m. bey mnbey at yahoo.com
Sat May 30 12:54:37 UTC 2009

Greetings all

The main problem as I see it is a failure of African Leadership, the Leadership on the continent has failed to see it self as a  guiding hand in the process and as a result these problems will persist until these corrupt and weak governments are removed by popular  demand. In Too many places across the continent the Business elite and the system of chieftains too often want to do business, but wind up doing " business as usual", meaning that the short term needs of  the elite are placed before the needs of the people. For certain in some places efforts are being made to bring internet speeds up to par, such as Kenya ( not surprisingly since Obama's Grand Mother lives there). This issus of leadership will have to be addressed, people if nothing else will have to begin to demand  the services and press the leaders for the changes and encourage the local leaders to take their cut on the back side ( wait for progress to occure and tax the results)
 instead of taking a cut on the front end, which usually means the money disapears in some cases.

While this dire scenario is not always the case it is often reprted as such, giving the impression that corruption and stupidity abound in african states. what ever the case more grass roots efforts will be needed, in some cases the chiefs will then see which way the parade is going and then try to get in front of it and take credit. Regardless of who gets the credit thet job will get done, so we hope. Iternet could be free ,it would not matter if the leaders continue to stand in the way of progress either directly or indirectly through inaction.

Regards to all

 Muhammad