[afnog] Challenges in the African Continent

Graham Beneke graham-ml at apolix.co.za
Sun Mar 29 06:39:15 UTC 2009

Shaheel Luckoo - Personal wrote:
> If we look at other continents or countries we
> notice that the end users have a very high bandwidth for inland
> communications and that too at a very low cost. For example in Hong Kong
> the end users have enormous bandwidth for services and websites being
> hosted locally.

It is not fair to try to compare Africa with places like Hong Kong. The
sheer population density in Hong Kong makes the business case for
broadband completely different. Hong Kong has high bandwidth because it
makes financial sense. If you want that same kind of bandwidth - go live
in Hong Kong ;-)

> the lack of inadequate
> telecommunication infrastructure because of the rural divide which
> exists in Africa.

What is this 'rural divide' you refer to? Providing broadband services
to rural/low density areas will always be more expensive than elsewhere
- this is the case even in rural Hong Kong.

In South Africa the most significant factor preventing the roll out of
infrastructure has been regulated monopolies and duopolies. Now that
this has been resolved there is a explosion of infrastructure
deployment. If the business case is there then it will happen.

> I am well aware that the majority of our continent’s web hosting are
> being done either in the US or in European countries.

I think that this is a skills issue. The cost of obtaining skilled
engineers that can build datacenters of the grades that are seen in the
US and EU is extremely high. The fact that many of these skills would
need to be imported does not help the costs.

While local datacenters remain more costly and less reliable than their
international counterparts they will remain less popular for the hosting
of services.

> As such, I would like to know whether there are certain strategies in
> place to overcome this pressing challenge and if so what are they and
> how us the community can help.

You need to identify what is holding back the development in your area.
If it is regulatory then engage the stakeholders. If it financial then
find an investor and present to them a business case. If its something
else then tell us about it - I'd be interested. :-)

regards
--
Graham Beneke
Apolix Internet Services