[afnog] Data mining for African ISP

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Mar 22 01:30:44 UTC 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009 03:30:42 am Global One Solutions
wrote:

> I would like to hear what our local ISP in African is
> using for data-mining, which helps them deal  with (a)
> with DDoS attack, (b) Understand their traffic pattern,
> which helps them plan their capacity planning.  I know
> DDoS attack is very critical to the operation folks and
> some of us used or still use home grown application. You
> can buzz offline if you want to. Any feedback is greatly
> appreciated.

These are typical applications of NetFlow/cflowd in IOS and
JunOS.

There's a lot of non-commercial flow collectors, e.g.,
Nfsen/Nfdump, as well as commercial products that work quite
well, e.g., Arbor Networks.

Other folks may use NTOP for the same, as well.

Cheers,

Mark.