[afnog] CISCO7609 IOS problem-Need Help

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jul 10 08:49:46 UTC 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 04:29:56 pm HENRY Mngano wrote:

> I insert my flash into Disk0 slot and the output
> shows;boot: cannot load "disk0:" as lines below;/

Okay; just a shot-in-the-dark, but it could probably be due
to a formatting issue. I can't speak to the SUP32, but I
know on a SUP720, a flash disk could fail to boot from
'disk0' if it was formatted in 'disk1'.

Just an idea, hard to substantiate without being close to
similar kit, I only have SUP720's, and an old SUP2 which I
promptly put in my private museum collection :-).

> Idea came;cisco7609 has 2 module inserted on
> slot5&slot6.

Ah, so you have a redundant system...

I'd normally have recommended that for a software update,
you initially upgrade the standby supervisor engine, boot it
up and make sure it works correctly, and then force a
switchover of the chassis to the standby supervisor engine.

Once the switchover is successful, you can then upgrade the
previously primary (now standby) supervisor engine.

> i have problem with slot6 module. Take flash
> on SLOT5 module  and put on  sLOT6 on SUP disk0: after i
> copied the IOS from disk0 to sup-bootdisk:
>
> then i #boot sup-bootdisk:*new IOS copied from disk0*
>
> Router boot proper.

Thumbs up!

> Looks like the flash that i was try
> to boot with is not good.

Before you throw it out, format it in the Slot 5 supervisor
engine, and try it to make sure it's nothing more than that.

Cheers,

Mark.