[afnog] Supervisor engine redundancy

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 8 10:20:10 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 02:20:39 pm Richard Zulu wrote:

>   I would like to get my supervisor engines
> WS-X4516-10GE,both the active and standby on a cisco
> 4507r working,that is all the ten gigabit ethernet ports
> working,but without redundancy in the engines,is there a
> way?

Strictly speaking, it's not possible to have a redundant
supervisor engine configuration in a Cisco switch without
redundancy being enabled. This would be a moot point, as
redundant supervisor engines do a lot of housekeeping in the
background when installed and configured as such.

There have been other cases where folk have requested that
two supervisor engines be installed in the chassis, but
without redundancy enabled, for one reason or another (I
suppose yours being one of them).

At the moment, the fact that two supervisor engines may be
installed negates this possibility. The jury is still out on
whether this is a fundamental hardware design, or a
software-configurable feature.

However, in your particular case, where you'd like to have
all links active even in a redundant configuration, this may
be platform-specific, e.g., this feature is supported on the
VS-S720-10G-3C(XL) supervisor engine, which is designed for
the Catalyst 6500 switch, where all links on both supervisor
engines are active when redundancy is configured and
enabled.

In your case, I'd humbly suggest following the below
guidelines in understanding which ports are available on
which supervisor engines for your platform, when redundancy
is enabled:

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/When_redundancy_is_run,_unable_to_use_all_eight_ports_on_both_of_the_Supervisor_5_engines_in_a_Catalyst_4500_switch_that_runs_Cisco_IOS_software
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/78_16727.html#wp112187

Cheers,