[afnog] How to dedicate bandwith betwen 2 ports on the same switch ?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jan 15 02:47:52 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 02:49:07 am Meuyou Noumba wrote:

> Im using a cisco catalyst 2950. How can I do that??

Because the Cisco Catalyst family of switches typically
forward Ethernet frames in hardware (as well as IP packets,
with a couple of restrictions to note particularly on the
smaller, desktop models), the QoS features available to the
various ranges of products in this line vary greatly.

Even for the larger models (like the 6500 series switch),
some features depend on what type of line card is installed
and/or what type of supervisor engine is running.

It also matters how late your IOS version is, as well as
whether you're running a Standard or Enhance image for the
desktop switches, e.g., the 2950 as in your case.

About the issue you face, I'd recommend spending some time
on the QoS FAQ for the 2950 first:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk813/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00804976d3.shtml

What you're trying to achieve is a rate limiting situation
based on destination interface.

I don't have a 2950 switch handy, but even on the 3560G
switch I'm looking at (which has a more advanced QoS feature
set than the 2950), I can only have an input interface as a
match condition. What you need is an output interface to
match all traffic destined for the port the other server is
on.

CAR (Committed Access Rate), which is an older rate limiting
technology, is only supported on the 3750-METRO switch for
the desktop switch type, so that's not an option.

You could also match on destination VLAN but this switch
doesn't support that.

Based on the QoS capabilities I can find for this hardware,
I'd recommend policing on inbound with a match condition
constituting an IP ACL, where the IP address of the server
on the other port is specified as the source. You can then
define an action to police traffic to 500Mbps, and replicate
the same configuration for the other port.

You would need the EI image for this, though.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.