[afnog] Cannot connect to remote pop3 server - resolved.

nishal goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Wed Feb 25 11:13:15 UTC 2009

On 24 Feb 2009, at 5:11 PM, Shepherd Magumo wrote:

> Hi Nishal,
>
> Its working!! Thanks Nishal. How did you manage to get someone moving
> about this problem?

i took the information that i'd supplied to you in my earlier
troubleshooting and sent that to the contacts that i found for the
remote site, via email.
i included the ip addreses of the 7 hosts i used in testing;
including my home-net which is not in 196/8 ip space.
for good measure, i included some tcpdump information showing that i
was never getting my tcp ACKs back.

i found contacts for the IP space and the networks providing routing
services by:   whois -h whois.ripe.net <ip_addr>
i found contacts for the .nl domain using 'dig':   dig soa
<the_domain_name>

standard tools, nothing magical :-)

--n.