[afnog] Cannot connect to remote pop3 server - resolved.

nishal goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Tue Feb 24 12:53:18 UTC 2009

On 20 Feb 2009, at 2:11 PM, Shepherd Magumo wrote:

> Nishal,

hi,

> Thanks for a detailed analysis of the problem. I got a reply from
> Graham yesterday and while testing I also noticed that of the four
> lines we have with ISP1, one of them is connecting on 110 to the
> server and is in the 196/8 block.

[the most recent] mail message received from the remote host admin:

"Dear Sirs,
The problem is solved.
Our spam filters where a little bit rough on blocking access to the
webmail and pop3 servers.
The block on the pop3 servers are removed.
Access webmail from Africa is still be a problem.
We made the decission to block Africa because a lot of scammer are
active from there.

Met vriendelijke groet,"

i've confirmed from, at least one host in 196/8 that couldn't
previously sustain a POP3 connection, that this is working.
you'd do well to check.

> If only I could get someone to listen from the two providers :(

i'm sure they are   :-)

but if you believe, they aren't, the best advice that anyone here will
give you, will be to vote with your wallet.
it's something that businesses understand, and fear :-)
i'm guessing:
- you pay ISP1+ISP2 to help you troubleshoot problems like this.  if
they're not helping you, what are you actually paying for ?
- you buy mailboxes from pop3.zonnet.nl;  that means you're paying
them good money for a service.
if that service entitles you to read your mail, using a web client, it
shouldn't matter if you're in australia or zanzibar.
to me, the 'spam/scam' reasons supplied are weak.  i'd insist that
they find an alternate authentication mechanism;  or i'd leave.

your wallet, your choices.

--n.