[afnog] How to build a DNS Server

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Thu Feb 12 16:11:02 UTC 2009

Yahya (ymungilwa) writes:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for the best way to build a dns server on CentOS 5 for an ISP
> and migrate all zone files from an old misbehaving ns server step by step.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

	Hi there,

	1. Install CentOS
	2. Install BIND or NSD (if it's for serving authoritative zones)
	3. Migrate all zone files
	4. Enjoy!

	Ok, a bit les humour: this is a bit lacking in information.  It's not
	very difficult, but there are things to consider like:

	- are you preserving the IP of the "old" server ?
	- are you using BIND already ?  Or something else like Windows ?

	After that, it's only a matter of scripting yourself out of it
	(zone transfers, copying  or converting zone files to the proper
	format, testing).

	Phil