[afnog] trouble reading backup files

Bruce Zamaere bzamaere at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 08:04:05 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I have a small problem and wonder if there is anyone out there who can
assist me. I am trying to access a backup that a colleague burnt onto
a DVD for me. The first problem, which was simpler to fix, was that
the folder I want to access is hidden. The real problem is that the
folder is listed as a file and not a directory.

I can mount the DVD using the unhide option in mount to see the folder
I want but can't CD to that folder because the shell thinks its a file
and not a directory. If I cat the file it shows a garbled list of the
files I want to access. If I list the contents of the root of the disk
it shows one file along with the parent and the current directories
and the sizes are tiny. However when I check the amount disk space
free on the mounted partition using df I see the true size of the disk
about 3.0GB.

I tried to create an image of the DVD using dd but when I try to run
debugfs on the filesystem it tells me that there is a "Bad magic
number in super-block while opening filesystem".

Is there a way I can get around this? Is there perhaps an alternative
method to read the contents on the disk?

Thanks,

/Bruce.