[afnog] IP Address Management Tool

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:22:38 UTC 2009

> pls re-read his original email

ooopppsss.. :-) I had not seen that :-D

Elly, what version of IPPlan did you use. It is the same tool I am using and
it has all the features you described above...  the one thing it lacks is
reporting. I'm working on adding this functionality for myself, when I am
done, I could share the code with you and you test it. From the list you
gave, id say:

-auto discovery --> using the poller script and the nmap use in this script,
a cron job should work for that. The only problem is that you will need to
define a customer ID (if you have many) to assign the discovered IP address
to. You could pass a file containing the list of IP addresses and assign a
customer ID to each file for this.

-DNS resolution --> If you do not pass the -n flag, the default nmap
commands return hostname for each IP address. The manual shows examples you
can use for nmap and what ipplan will accept from an nmap scan.

-regular subnet checking for new active and inactive adresses --> I'd say
the poller script can handle this as well. There is a command that updates a
field of the database for last poll date and whether IP address was active
or not

-reporting of new addresses seen in the network --> certainly not there
-reporting of inactive addresses --> certainly not there

I have looked for a similar tool that is open source but not found any.
Solarwinds have the tools that you describe here, but they are not free and
are not cheap either.

You may need to have separate cron jobs to cater for the different updates
that you want.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.