[afnog] Troubleshooting Network Broadcast

Eliufoo C. Mahinda venomius at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 16:06:52 UTC 2009

Hi Team,

I'm in a need of help with troubleshooting a broadcast storm in an enterprise with more than 200 servers, 50 switches and 20 routers.

Of recent, we have been experiancing intermetmet network broadcast which criples the overall perfomance of network and causes some for the application to stop function properly or sneeze to work completely.

Monitoring the devices using Solarwind, we can see several switch ports interfaces with high outbound (Tx) traffic and minimum inbound(Rx). However, we can't ping point the actually node that is causing the broadcast.

Can anyone recommend the best practise in troubleshooting such a scenario?
Thanks,
Elly