[afnog] afnog Digest, Vol 54, Issue 23

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Sep 24 12:45:08 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 19:10:05 Peter Nyamukusa
wrote:

> I sure
> that would be true if you have may routers in your
> backbone area right now I have over 20 and that number
> should increase to over 100 within the next few months.

Among the many fundamental concepts in making sure your link
state IGP is stable and continues to converge quickly as
you add more and more routers to the network is keeping the
link state database as small as possible.

This means keep the number of prefixes to a minimum.

A best practice design that is being touted today is to only
carry infrastructure and Loopback addresses in the IGP. The
AfNOG is behind this design as well.

As long as you can keep the number of prefixes low (and, of
course, follow the other fundamental concepts in scaling
your link state IGP's), you can have quite a handful of
routers in the network without issue.

Link state IGP's are built for fast convergence. BGP is
built for routing entry scalability and extensive routing
policy management. Exploit both their strengths in harmony.

Cheers,

Mark.