[afnog] Problem bringing up MPLS on disimilar interfaces

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Sep 20 11:54:33 UTC 2008

On Saturday 20 September 2008 03:08:31 Frank A. Kuse wrote:

> I am having some trouble bringing up MPLS up on disimilar
> interfaces ( FastEthernet Interface and Gigabit interface
> both connecting to a cisco 3750 switch with Jumbo frames
> enabled)

Note that if these are Cisco routers, with the exception of
the high-end kit (i.e., 7600, XR 12000, CRS-1), Cisco don't
generally support baby giant or jumbo frames on their FE
cards (although we are now seeing support for being able to
change the MTU on FE interfaces on the 7200 for much more
recent code).

> When i change the Gigabit interface to a FastEthernet
> interface, the MPLS comes up.

Could we see some of your configurations on both routers
(I'm assuming these are Cisco)? If possible, can you send?

* sh run int <interface>
* sh int <interface>
* sh mpls interfaces
* sh mpls ldp neighbor

It'd be good to also look at your IGP configuration.

Recommend that you also have these commands by default in
your global configuration:

* mpls label protocol ldp
* mpls ldp router-id Loopback0

> I would like to know if it's possible to bring up MPLS up
> between two disimilar interfaces.

It is possible - I've done it before.

Cheers,

Mark.