[afnog] GE Interfaces for Cisco 7206 and 7204

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 22 09:09:42 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 16:53:24 Kayihura M. Eddy
wrote:

> They would work on VXR only?
> There are 2 7206 VXR and a 7204.

Yes, these require the VXR chassis.

I would discourage you from considering the non-VXR chassis.
There's really nothing to benefit in the way of price, vs.
the number of issues you could potentially face down the
line.

The NPE-225 is the fastest processor that the non-VXR
chassis can support.

> We once got some compatibility issue while purchasing
> HSSI module that would work on one type and not on the
> other.

Some port adapters have a minimum software/NPE requirement,
and each software/NPE has a minimum NPE/software
requirement. I could go on with this matrix, but you get
the point :-).

In other cases, some PA's have a minimum hardware revision
requirement. So you could have two VXR's that look and feel
the same, but because one was built (years) before the
other, it might not support a later revision of a
particular PA.

There are also some older PA's that used to be supported on
the non-VXR chassis' that are not supported on the VXR
models.

My recommendation would be to verify that you have the
minimum requirements, in terms of hardware and software,
before considering a new component of this and other router
families; and in fact, hardware revisions are just as
important, but often overlooked.

When you get a chance, take a look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/ps348/index.html

Cheers,