[afnog] Signing root zone

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Nov 6 16:10:29 UTC 2008

      On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, alain aina wrote:
    > Just wondering if  people here are informed about what is going about
    > DNSSEC deployment  and  the root  zone signing.
    > NTIA RoI is  at  http://www.ntia.doc.gov/DNS/DNSSEC.html
    > Would be good  if our community  say something,  at least  encourage root
    > signing and not let layer 9+ kill the process
    > Please speak  up

Agreed, this is very important, and as many voices as possible should be
heard.  It should be particularly emphasized that this is not a United
States issue, but a global one, since the U.S. Department of Commerce,
which is the one responsible for this, tends to not be very
outward-looking.

People writing in should look particularly at cases four and six, which
are the two that have actual proposals behind them, from ICANN and
Verisign, respectively.  You can see the two proposals, and the responses
to date, at:

    http://www.ntia.doc.gov/DNS/DNSSEC.html

Please consider which of the two proposals is more likely to allow for
long term, bottom-up, global governance of the process, and please write
in to NTIA to tell them which proposal you prefer, and why.

                                -Bill