[afnog] DNS Problem (PTR Records on different subnets fails)

Maina M Noah ncmaina2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 18:05:06 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

I have created an A record for a domain on a totally different subnet than the DNS server
and the related domain in question works fine for forward lookups.
However, it fails to create the PTR record for reverse lookups apparently because
the IP address is on a different subnet than the DNS server and its other PTR
records that it has authority for ( e.g. 0.2.168.192.in.addr.arpa is zone for
existing PTR records and new PTR record is on 172.16.0.0 subnet which is different ).

My question is, does an entire new zone have to be created for this?

Can this zone be created on the existing DNS server that is not actually subnet 172.16.0.0?

If so, what are the specific steps to do that.

Note ; i have created all the different zones for each separate subnet in the /etc/named.conf
file and each zone has a corresponding zone file in the /var/named/ directory.

i tested everything with named-checkconf and named-checkzone commands and all is fine.

However i wonder why the PTR for a different subnet from the DNS server itself wont work, yet
the other PTR's for hosts within the same subnet with the DNS server do work well.

Will appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks
Maina Noah