[afnog] how to change the maxsymlinks parameter on solaris

Peter Nyamukusa petern at africaonline.co.tz
Tue Mar 25 07:27:47 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

I inherited an old sparc box acting as a mail server with qmail currently
the server is have disk space issues as the no of customers has increased
over the years. I am currently in the process of sourcing for a new servers
and I currently need a quick fix to solve the disk space issue

SunOS host 5.7 Generic_106541-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

I have moved my mail box to another HDD with plenty free space and created a
symlink to the original location and changed the permissions on the link to
match the original. The problem I am now faced with is that it looks like I
am exceeding the default MAXSYMLINKS see below:

cd /usr/home/popusers/p/petern
bash: cd: /usr/home/popusers/p/petern: Number of symbolic links encountered
during path name traversal exceeds MAXSYMLINKS

logs from qmail
Unable_to_switch_to_/usr/home/popusers/p/petern:_symbolic_link_loop.

Any pointers are appreciated

Cheers,

Peter Nyamukusa
MCSE-2000/2003, Linux+, CCIP, JNCIS, A+