[afnog] -avoid using www in url

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Thu Mar 13 06:59:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:47:49AM +0300, Habib Mohammedaman wrote:
> Dear freinds,
>

> i have ask this before but it couldn't work for me !
> it is in our local domain sites and external also i wana www.example.com and
> example.com to be used and gives the same result that mean every user to
> both of this domain names alternatively .
>
> i try it in my local dns but it stop resolveing inside and forward it to
> outside.
>
> side point me to solution for this.

	I don't know your DNS configuration, but you must add an A (or AAAA if
	doing IPv6) record at the apex (the zone name itself) of the zone,
	i.e.  if your DNS solution is BIND, and your zone is called example.com,
	then you must create, in your zone file, a record of the form:

	@		A	1.2.3.4

	Typically this is placed just below the SOA or NS records.  1.2.3.4
	is the IP you want to point the zone to.  You CANNOT use a CNAME here.
	(which is why most of us don't like to do this, it makes migration
	more difficult).

	Cheers,
	Phil