[afnog] Viewing LAN traffic

Sergio Carrilho sergio at hongo.wide.ad.jp
Mon Mar 10 14:20:35 UTC 2008

Hi,

If you want to measure detailed traffic you could also try RTG (
http://rtg.sourceforge.net/) which can give you granular data.
I found ntop running on a computer quite unstable (sometimes it goes down
and you loose information) but you are ok with paying for hardware you could
try their nbox solution.

regards

sergio

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Phil Regnauld <regnauld at x0.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:32:54AM -0700, Elly wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > For the past few weeks, I have been searching for an open source
> solution to monitor host traffic basic on IP (not read/sniff packets). I'm
> looking for something similar to Cisco Netflow feature, that can gather
> traffic consumption on a single IP.
> >
> > I have currently deploy the following tools.
> > 1. Cacti & NTOP - Graphical tool that uses rrdtool
> > 2. Squid proxy server - controls LAN usage. But doesn't gather data
> consumption.
> > 3. WireShark - Packet sniffer.
> >
> > Any ideas on other tools i could use?

,,,       Sergio Carrilho