[afnog] Private AS in Internet GW

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jun 19 15:15:53 UTC 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008, Bouchaib Adimi wrote:

> It is possible to configure globally  a private AS  in
> the  internet Gateways and to configure eBGP session with
> other ISP using public AS in multihomed architectue  ?
> knowing  that we have  IBGP running  betwen all IGW .

Not sure I understand...

Are you asking whether:

a) it's possible for a router to run multiple ASN's, where
   one talks to public ASN's and another talks to private
   ASN's (local-as feature, perhaps?)?

or

b) it's possible to have a BGP configuration that supports
   regular eBGP sessions to other ISP's using public ASN's
   as well as eBGP sessions with MPLS/VPN customers using
   private ASN's?

> and
> 1 Internet GW is running also a private IBGP  for VPn
> MPLS
> this mean that an IGW is acting also as  a PE router

A single router could be a collapsed P/PE device, in the
context of L3VPN's, so that's no problem.

Mark.