[afnog] ip address and Lir (Jean Robert HOUNTOMEY)

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Jun 13 17:05:00 UTC 2008

At 05:58 13-06-2008, Maina Noah wrote:
>Public IP numbers are free resources which every customers is
>entitled to. I suggest the

It cannot be free as it's a finite resource.

>only way to fix this kind of robbery is for AfriNic to conduct an
>LIR meeting so that we as LIR's can discuss policies pertaining IP
>numbers allocations to customers by ISP's. AfriNic needs to come up
>with a flexible IP numbers allocation policy for LIR's. I will be
>very happy to suggest how such policies can be achieved though i am
>not certain if this can be solved from layer 8 or 9 through these
>countries regulatory organs. i have setup a policy in my
>organisation which i believe covers our clients needs. they are very happy.

It's not an IP numbers allocation policy issue; it's a political
issue.  There's not much AfriNIC can do as it's not its job to tell
countries what to do.  Even if IP number allocation was cheap, there
may be other barriers.  It's up to the country's regulatory body to
ensure that there is fair competition if that is their
objective.  That may promote wider access at affordable prices.

Regards,
-sm