[afnog] Ipv6 Experince

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Thu Jun 12 00:26:36 UTC 2008

Hi Noah,

Maina Noah said the following on 11/6/08 19:20:

> I am looking at a situation where two
> separate networks are running only Ipv6 and if there are ways we can
> avoid dual stacking or port mapping with NAT just because we have to
> tunnel through an Ipv4 backbone on the internet. It's tricky i guess.

If they are two separate (pure IPv6) networks that only need to
communicate with each other, than a simple tunnel over the existing
Internet will work just fine. The 6bone was like this for the decade or
so it ran. It's when these pure IPv6 networks need to talk to pure IPv4
hosts that we need to consider protocol translation...

philip