[afnog] Ipv6 Experince

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jun 11 09:03:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 03:42:58PM +1000,
 Philip Smith <pfs at cisco.com> wrote
 a message of 19 lines which said:

> I dare say that running IPv6-only is of purely academic interest,

This requires a more precise definition of "IPv6 only". If it means
"Only IPv6 on the devices and absolutely no access to a dual stack
friendly machine", yes, I agree with you as far as Internet
connectivity is concerned (there are IPv6-only networks in production,
in closed environments, where access to the Internet is not required).

However, if you change the definition to "Only IPv6 on the devices but
there are 1 to N dual stack friendly machines, willing to proxy",
then, it may work and it may be the only solution for the typical
African university (last time, I checked, the Cocody University in
Abidjan had only a /28 for its 10,000 students...).

I installed such a setup recently, for a training session in
Nouakchott, there was only one machine with a dual-stack and a public
IPv4 address, running BIND as a DNS recursor, Apache serving as a Web
proxy, etc and everything worked mostly fine. ALGs are great.

> While NAT-PT helps, as we've found during the various IPv6-Hour
> experiments at recent NOGs, it isn't the solution.

I was quite happy with 646 at the IETF in Philadelphia.