[afnog] Bandwidth manager

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Jul 21 09:48:36 UTC 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008 16:59:07 samuel kanyike wrote:

> I need some advise here on a good tool commercial or open
> source which can help me manage BD with features like
> firewall, Bandwidth Prioritization, Committed and
> Burstable BD, Time-based Bandwidth Allocation, BD
> allocation per IP or user. I'm looking at managing about
> 500 nodes.

If you have (Cisco) routers connecting your users, all these
tools are available provided you have the right operating
system release (although I wouldn't run the firewall
feature on the router).

The problem with doing this on routers is whether the
features run in hardware (better, minimal to no performance
impact) or software (scalability limited by complex
policies and/or increase in user traffic).

I had great luck with appliance-type bandwidth managers,
e.g., ET, but that became problematic as our edge routers
began to increase and become more distributed - hence the
shift to router-based bandwidth management.

Cheers,

Mark.