[afnog] VPN client failing to connect

SM sm at resistor.net
Mon Dec 15 17:25:39 UTC 2008

At 21:25 13-12-2008, Shepherd Magumo wrote:
>We are running a Mikrotik VPN server on our network which is behind
>a NAT. From the internet through the public IP 196.xx.xx.40, some
>networks can connect to the VPN server without a problem but this
>one network with log captured below just cannot connect.
>Inorder to troubleshoot further I enabled debug and captured the log
>below. I was hoping for I will easily figure out but no joy at all.

The debug log doesn't show much.  The problem may have occurred
during the authentication phase.  See what error you get at the
client end.  You are using a PPtP VPN tunnel.  You need to open TCP
port 1723 and allow IP protcol 47 (GRE).  Verify packet filters in
between both endpoints.

You can also use PPTPclnt command (from Windows) to test the
connectivity between the client and the server.

Regards,
-sm