[afnog] Two mail servers in the same domain

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 13:18:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Kone <enokb at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a mail server running under postfix and dns server in my network. I
> want to install an other mail server to backup mails.

this would not be a good idea... copying/syncing over mailboxes can become a
mess. I am assuming what you want is another machine holding your emails so
that if this one goes down, the other is available.

DNS should be simple with a secondary/slave DNS server configured to copy
(and in a way, backup your primary DNS database)

> Any particular configuration to do in the second mail server or in the dns
> ?
> I plan to make a backup using rsync with cron.

rsync.... I would say what you need for your email is something close to a
high availability setup. If you have two machines to spare, you could build
a redundant system using CARP. Use one to replicate your current email
setup. and the second to handle the failover switching. but you will need to
consider NFS mounting the device that will hold your emails so that you can
mount it on both servers for read/write of the mailboxes.

Take a look at using CARP and HA systems

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.