[afnog] Two mail servers in the same domain

Kone enokb at yahoo.fr
Sat Dec 13 12:02:01 UTC 2008

--- En date de : Sam 13.12.08, SM <sm at resistor.net> a écrit :

De: SM <sm at resistor.net>
Objet: Re: [afnog] Two mail servers in the same domain
À: afnog at afnog.org
Date: Samedi 13 Décembre 2008, 6h37

At 10:31 12-12-2008, Kone wrote:
> I have a mail server running under postfix and dns server in my network. I
want to install an other mail server to backup mails.
> Any particular configuration to do in the second mail server or in the dns
?

You can have a mail server acting as a backup in case the first mail server is
unreachable.  There should be two MX records in DNS for example.com with the
lower number giving a higher priority:

    MX 5  mail1.example.com.
    MX 10 mail2.example.com.This step is already done in my DNS

Use the relay_domains setting in the Postfix configuration to specific the
domain on the second mail server.
ok, is it means the relayhost in the mail2 will be like that relayhost=mail1.example.com ?There no relaydomain in postfix conf file.
> I plan to make a backup using rsync with cron.

Although you can backup the mailboxes, you won't be able to synchronize the
mail on both servers.

Regards,
-sm