[afnog] Port forwarding using shorewall problem

Yahaya Wara mywarra at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 09:15:37 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I installed shorewall firewall version 3.x on ubuntu
linux 7.X. The firewall started and running. One of my
goals is to run internet servers on my local network
with RFC-1918 private IP adddresses. Because these
computers have RFC-1918 addresses, it is not possible
for clients on the internet to connect directly to
them,i would want the clients on the internet to
address their request to the firewall who then forward
the request to the server. When my server responds,
the firewall should automatically rewrite the source
address in the response using it public routable
IP(208.78.59.98).

This is what i have in my /etc/shorewall/masq

eth0        eth1
eth0        eth1        208.78.99.98

This is what i have in my /etc/shorewall/rules

DNAT   net   loc:172.16.0.13  tcp  80 208.78.59.99

iam stucked any help?

  Yahaya Mohammed Wara B.Sc, CCIE-written CCNP, CCAI, CCNA
  Usmanu Danfodiyo University
  P.M.B 2346, Sokoto, Nigeria
  Mobile: 234-8039687494

  'If current can be present in every part of circuit I see no reason Why Intelligency can not be passed through Computers'