[afnog] bgp-load sharing

Peter Nyamukusa petern at africaonline.co.tz
Fri Apr 11 11:22:35 UTC 2008

Hi Brunild,

I would suggest that you announce the 2 /24 to you 1st DVB satellite
provider and then also announce a pre-pended /22 as well
Then announce the /23 to the second DVB satellite provide as well as a
pre-pended /22.
The most specific routes are chosen which means if DVB 1 is up the /24
routes are available and routing will prefer the /24 but if DVB 1 goes down
the routes will be removed from the internet routing tables but will be
matched in the /22 prefix from DVB 2 and therefore will use the other link.
This is true for the reverse on DVB 2

You also need to make sure you have some route objects in ripe or afrinic
for the blocks you are announcing as I have seen many people make that
mistake.

If you want to be more specific you can give us a sample of your configs and
will be happy to assist

HTH

Cheers,

Peter.