[afnog] Problems Sending Mail to Yahoo

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Apr 11 00:58:05 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008, Phil Regnauld wrote:

> 	A similar thread has just popped up on NANOG, FYI.  This
> sseems to be a widespread problem...

I've had this problem for the past 2 years, initially
reporting it on a LUG mailing list back in .ug.

Since I (like many others) use my own mailer on my laptop,
and it's guaranteed anything to Yahoo's mail servers will
encounter 421 error 95% of the time, a simple 'exim -qf &'
run 3 or 4 times (it cycles through different MX's until it
finds one that's actually doing what it's meant to do)
eventually hits home.

I think (I may need corroboration) that Yahoo are also rate
limiting bandwidth to some or all of their mail servers. It
once took me a day to send an 8MB file over to Yahoo (no,
really), when the same file arrived in .ke in less than 5
minutes from hitting "send". There are many incidents I've
experienced like this.

Complaints have yielded diddly. I've learned to live with
it... if you can't beat them...

Mark.