[afnog] Multiple Gateways on a Server

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Sep 24 16:28:00 UTC 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 23:14, Bruce Zamaere wrote:

> Hope the ascii drawing looks alright.

The ASCII was a bit broken (on my mailer, anyway). It's no
big deal... :-).

> Simply put. I have
> a server farm that is on a lan with two routers. I want
> to be able to configure the servers to use both routers.
> Load balancing or load sharing isn't really a concern
> here. Is it possible to have two default gateways for
> these servers? Servers are running Linux... routers are
> all Cisco.

Sounds like a job for GLBP (Gateway Load Balancing
Protocol).

Like HSRP and VRRP, GLBP provides first-hop router
redundancy to downstream hosts, but also provides for load
balancing.

Consider the following URL for additional information
(including configuration examples):

http://tinyurl.com/ynvy6x

HSRP does support load balancing as well, via M-HSRP
(Multiple HSRP) groups. VRRP load balancing support
utilizes a similar architecture. However, both these
protocols suffer from the same problem when you need them
to support load balancing; half your hosts need to be
configured for one virtual default gateway, while the other
half are configured for the second virtual gateway. This is
burdensome and adds complexity.

GLBP (as is HSRP) is Cisco proprietary, as far as I recall.
However, as yours is an all-Cisco network, this should not
be a problem.

Cheers,

Mark.