[afnog] Multiple Gateways on a Server

Fabian fabian at udsm.ac.tz
Mon Sep 24 16:30:31 UTC 2007

Pretty Possible Bruce,

You need to have two interfaces in that linux box.....

One interface give it an IP from one router (network block)....like wise the
other interface give it an IP from the second router (second network block).

Add these commands  in the /etc/rc.local file
 route add -net a.b.c.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 default gw a.b.c.1
 route add -net d.e.f.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 default gw d.e.f.1

note:
1. a.b.c.0 should network ID for one network block
2. d.e.f.0 should network ID for another network block
3. 255.255.255.0 is netmask for each network block, here I have assumed each
network block has 255.255.255.0 netmask.

Try it out,

Arbogast.I.Fabian,
Senior Network Engineer,
University Computing Centre,