[afnog] Load Balancing Two ISP links

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 14:54:21 UTC 2007

Hi Noa,

 I am also working on the same senario as we speak, however i would like to
> share some few things with you. I also hope you are meaning load balancing
> two upstream providers with a single Router.

yes, i do mean load-balancing,  but i do want fail-over as well.

First, are you considering the CPU and I/O resources given the fact that you
> are planiing to utilise a single Router for both links.One Single Router
> can do this job if two WAN interfaces are installed on it.

Yes, i have considered CPU and I/O resources for this single router.

Just make sure each interface has its respective ip add from the specific
> Provider and configure or *add one "ip nat inside source ...." statement
> and one default static route. After you've configured  the new interface.
>
> If NAT is not appropriate then you will need to consider setting static
> routes pointing to each interface but rember to amke one parmanent.*

It is NAT for sure...

Second, when i hear the word load balancing, some times i think of
> redundancy and from the Cisco Implementation point of view, i would
> Automatically suggest Two Routers and Hot Standby Routing Protocol (HSRP) be
> the protocol achieving this goal.

Well, i have one router, with two links coming in from two different ISP's.

Hope this helps. Mine seems to work but i am still fine tuning it.

This does give me a pointer. This is what i have:

one router with two serial interfaces, each interface is configured with a
different IP address (of course) for each ISP link. Currently, i have two
routes

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 A.B.C.E
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 W.X.Y.Z

This unfortunately does not load balance and does not take into
consideration one link failing. What i am looking for is a way to have load
balancing and fail-over onthis router for these two links.

Like i mentioned, i have looked at OER and it looks like what will work for
me, the catch here is that the deployment of OER requires at least two
routers. I was wondering if anyone has deployed OER on one router and has it
running and if they can give me some pointers.

Thanks.

Regards

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.