[afnog] Load Balancing Two ISP links

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 19:06:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a scenario that i need some assistance and insight as well.

I have two E1 links, terminating on two separate routers, each from a
different ISP. My current problem is that both links do have moments of
unexplained blackouts.

I would like to terminate both these links onto one router and do some
load-balancing and fail-over on them. CISCO's OER seems like the thing that
will work this out, though in what i have read, this needs at least (in my
understanding) two routers. The example given in CISCO's OER manual for
deployment on one router depicts two border routers, one acting as the
Master Controller/Border Router, and the other the Rorder Router

Has anyone played around with OER and is there a possibility of getting it
to work on one router with two serial interfaces, one loopback and
one ethernet interface?

Is there any other way to load-balance (and have a failover provision) on a
CISCO 1700 router? I would have done IP CEF per-packet load balancing but i
have no control over the end and this wont scale well with any link failure.

Appreciate any assistance.

Regards

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.