[afnog] VOIP Traffic shapping

Noa of Ark ncmaina2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 15:28:08 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am having this problem with some of our clients. We are offering them bandwidth as their service provider and some of them have implemented
 VOIP  in their home networks and offices.

Now the link/speed in terms of through put is fine especially with normal browsing, VPN's, Video streaming,downloads etc.

However, this clients are complaining that,when in comes to Voice traffic,the sound is sometime chappy  (not clear) and  and they cant even make  enough calls.

I am starting to believe it could be a QoS issue or some sort of congestion on the clients network. I need to help them sort this out since they want to prioritize Voice traffic, but i am not a voip expert. I was thinking of maybe prioritizing VOIP traffic but i am worried about other clients who don't use VOIP services.I am even
also not sure of how i can implement this.

Any ideas on how i can troubleshoot this problem, do i need to implement QoS on my Core Routing equipments or something.

Thanks.

Maina Noa