[afnog] Go it !

Prince Martin mchitimba at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 10 17:05:58 UTC 2007

  Phil,
  Thanks, I got my network back in place - with FreeBSD this time.
   Before I do anything else I would like to upgrade my  system. You guys gave  us  /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile  where there is a default host provision....unfortunately it points to noc.e0.ws.afnog.org which doesn't exit anymore. I am not sure what to do with the default host provision, what's the alternative? Noel - u knew this was gonna come up! yeah? (kidding)

  Martin

Phil Regnauld <regnauld at x0.dk> wrote:  Prince Martin (mchitimba) writes:
> Sorry I'm sort of amatuer in this but I need help.
>
> I got FreeBSD running on a machine that needs to act as a gateway for my internal network. I have two interfaces one connecting to the external network and one to the internal, both are working properly or so I think. I have internet on this machine and computers in my internal network can ping to this machine (and vice versa) but obviously they have no internet. I know I need to configure rc.firewall and do something else to complete the setup. Trouble is the rc.firewall on this FreeBSD is a little different from Linux and I want it all done Unix way. Please help, in as much detail as u possibly can.

a) read handbook http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-natd.html

b) identify you external netcard

c) as root:

echo >>/etc/rc.conf <gateway_enable="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ext_interface_name" # f.eks. fxp0, vr0, etc...
EOF

d) as root

/etc/rc.d/routing restart
/etc/rc.d/natd start

... should do it.

Live for yourself, you live in vain; live for others, you live again...so pass it on.