[afnog] RE : Re: how do I configure my FreeBSD box as a gateway?

tracy musaza cocko_mirindi at yahoo.fr
Wed May 9 16:01:25 UTC 2007

hello!

  on your Client machine, do not forget to configure DNS Ip address,   ( ex:  /etc/resolv.conf° for UNIX/ LINUX box.

  cheers!!

Phil Regnauld <regnauld at x0.dk> a écrit :
  Prince Martin (mchitimba) writes:
> Sorry I'm sort of amatuer in this but I need help.
>
> I got FreeBSD running on a machine that needs to act as a gateway for my internal network. I have two interfaces one connecting to the external network and one to the internal, both are working properly or so I think. I have internet on this machine and computers in my internal network can ping to this machine (and vice versa) but obviously they have no internet. I know I need to configure rc.firewall and do something else to complete the setup. Trouble is the rc.firewall on this FreeBSD is a little different from Linux and I want it all done Unix way. Please help, in as much detail as u possibly can.

a) read handbook http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-natd.html

b) identify you external netcard

c) as root:

echo >>/etc/rc.conf <gateway_enable="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ext_interface_name" # f.eks. fxp0, vr0, etc...
EOF

d) as root

/etc/rc.d/routing restart
/etc/rc.d/natd start