[afnog] gre on PPPoE

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jun 12 09:43:44 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 12:04:58PM +0300,
 Siwangu Mgata <svmgata at sihebs.co.tz> wrote
 a message of 72 lines which said:

> I want to run a data store application between these two offices but
> the challenge is when i create a VPN, the application stop working.

Can you give more details? For instance, does the application work
between the two sites when *not* using a VPN, just a regular IP link?

(If so, I would suspect a TCP MSS problem, triggered by the lower MTU
of the VPN. If I'm right, the TCP connection will be established but
the data transfer will not occur.)

> It stop working even when i create a simple ipip tunnel

Same remark. More details are welcome. A simple tcpdump may
suffice. Pinging the IP addresses also (a "data store application" is
a terrible debugging tool).