[afnog] Netlantis - Routing Table Geoanalysis

Philippe Bourcier philippe at netlantis.org
Sun Jul 29 19:25:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

Sorry for the cross-post.

The Netlantis team (Pascal Gloor and me) is pleased to announce a new
BGP routing tables visualization project.
This project is called Routing Table Geoanalysis and aims at
representing various statistics based on the analysis of a BGP routing table.
The result of this analysis is a poster-size computer-generated image
(12+ Megapixels) which you can easily print.

Project's URL : http://rtg.netlantis.org/

The statistics for each routing table we analyse are :
- The distribution across continents (or more precisely geo-political
areas) of the total number of IP addresses announced
- The number of IP addresses announced for 100 inhabitants of these areas
- The number of routes, IP addresses and the average number of IP
addresses per route
- The main upstream AS's share in the routing table (in number of IP)
and the geographic distribution of IP addresses announced through or by them
- The distribution of AS path length by continent
- The prefix size distribution

The geo-political areas (I'm abusively calling continents) used for
the statistics are : Africa, Asia, Central America, Europe,
Middle-East, North America, Oceania and South America. When it's
relevant, I also use the area World which is simply a way to display
the average statistics for the whole routing table.

The posters (and statistics) will be automatically updated every month.

English not being my native language, I'll be happy if some people
can help me fix or improve my wording and explanations so they can be
better understood, especially on this page: http://rtg.netlantis.org/?info=rtg

I'm thinking about adding a page on which you could automatically
upload (via curl) your clogin -c "term len 0\rsh ip bgp" every month
so that any AS could also be listed without the need to peer
anywhere... tell me if you are interested by this feature.

Thanks to routeviews for providing the routing tables and to our
sponsors : IP-MAN, OVH and MaxMind.

ps: If you want to sponsor Netlantis, we found a piece of hardware
which might help us return in a short time to production, the thing
is a DDRAM-based hard-disk (more details on my blog), contact me in
private if you can help us get one.

Sincerely,

Philippe Bourcier
web : http://sysctl.org/