[afnog] UCEPROTECT-Network Level 3

Ernest Byaruhanga (AfriNIC) ernest at afrinic.net
Tue Jul 24 17:13:44 UTC 2007

Hi all,

We are trying to communicate with UCEPROTECT in order
to make them review their policy or at least refrain from filtering
the entire /16.

Additionally, UCEPROTECT have some strange statement on their web site
at: http://www.uceprotect.net/en/index.php?m=7&s=8 part of which is
quoted below;

> You are an innocent ISP and implemented preventative measures? You do
> not own the complete /16 netblock, and other ISPs sharing the same /16
> with you are causing Level 3?
>
> Talk to them, and try to get them cooperate with you. If they refuse,
> we suggest you complain about it to your Regional Internet Registry
> RIR).YOU ARE A MEMBER THERE AND YOU PAY THEM FOR YOUR NETRANGE.

As Randy said, AfriNIC does not police the use of IP addresses allocated
to our members, so UCEPROTECT have to use proper methods (the AfriNIC
WHOIS db for instance) to identify exact netblocks from which alleged
"spam" may be coming.

Finally should the responsibility not also lie on clients who
rely on RBLs with such clueless policies?

rgds
ernest