[afnog] POP3 server

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jul 13 09:04:05 UTC 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 16:39, Antonio Godinho wrote:

> I am using vm-pop3d server for a mail server which has a
> high load of POP3 connections, after a while the POp3
> server stops responding while still running, I can not find
> much info about the vm-pop3d daemon.

What kind of loads are you seeing, i.e., how many concurrent
connections per second at what CPU utilization? How much
memory does the process utilize?

> Does anyone know of another POP3 daemon that can do the
> same and can sustain a huge load. The server now has about
> 8000 POP3 users. It has 2GB of RAM and it's Xeon processor,
> all of these are under used.

At my previous employer, we were happy with Courier's POP3d
daemon. It supports virtual domains reading data off a MySQL
database that provides the location to customers' Maildir
directories in addition to authentication data.

Mail is delivered to the customers' mailboxes via Exim.

Courier (both POP3 and IMAP) can be configured with the number
of concurrent connections to accept. We started off with 40
(default) but had increased to 200 within 3 months without
any issues on the box.

Cheers,

Mark.