[afnog] Two IP Addresses on the same Interface

Geert Jan de Groot GeertJan.deGroot at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 11 13:41:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:54:12 +0300 (EAT)  stevem at accesskenya.com wrote:
> If your NIC is something other than fxp0 (like rl0) replace that. Of
> course your router has to have an IP on the same subnet as well.....

Would you care to elaborate? From an ethernet point of view,
multiple IP addresses doesn't matter: the programming of
the MAC chip doesn't change.

Having said that, I agree that the rine chipset (as well as a few others)
are a suboptimal choice and the driver probably not as rugged
as the fxp driver. But, there's no technical reason why rl0 can't
have multiple IP's - we've done it at several AfNOG meetings in the past.

(rl - either the chip or the driver, does NOT do 802.3ab, which
is required for 802.1Q VLANs, however. I have not had time yet
to figure out whether this is a hardware restriction or a
driver mishap, but given that the new Soekris 5500 boxen
unfortunately use these chips, I'm bound to work on this soon).

Geert Jan