[afnog] Connecting Catalyst 2950 and LinkSys VLAN 802.1q

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Thu Feb 22 06:52:50 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 00:10, Kareem Mahgoub wrote:

> Thanks for your help. I think I should go to the other option, to
> make the switch act as a dummy switch just forwarding the packets
> without inspecting the TAG, only if I know how I can make this!

Well, AFAIK, the 2950 will not pass traffic for VLAN's not defined
in its VLAN database. You'd have to tell the switch what VLAN's it
knows about either manually or via VTP.

Depending on your hardware configuration, upgrading to an EI image
might help, but I cannot say as I don't recall whether I installed
an SI or EI image on my 2950 (but my 2950T is an EI image).

Mark.