[afnog] HSSI error

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Aug 21 03:15:50 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 08:09, eddy at terracom.rw wrote:

> We have been using an HSSI card ( Hardware is M1T-HSSI-B)
> on a 7206 VXR router and it is working fine.

From the error below, I'm guessing you have a PA-H (1-port
HSSI 7200 port adapter).

> Aug 20 23:15:46.727: %PA-3-REVNOTSUPPORTED: PA in slot2 (Mx
> HSSI-B) requires base h/w revision of (1.17) for this
> chassis *Aug 20 23:15:46.727: %PA-3-DEACTIVATED: port
> adapter in bay [2] powered off. *Aug 20 23:15:46.827:
> %PA-2-PABRIDGE: Failed to config bridge for PA 2

> The two options I had with this situation are:

> 2. hardware not compatible in that type of router.

Right, that is your problem.

Relating to this particular issue, Cisco issued FN-3028 field
notice updated for February, 2006. You can find it here:

http://tinyurl.com/24utf

Basically, any PA-H below hardware revision 1.17 will not work
in a 7200-VXR chassis because the VXR chassis has a newer and
faster PCI midplane as compared to the non-VXR chassis.
Affected PA's would only work if the Arbiter EPLD (Erasable
Programmable Logic Device) has been upgraded.

However, not all affected PA's are upgradeable. So your only
option in such a situation would be to ask your supplier to
re-issue you with a PA that meets the minimum supported
hardware revision (1.17, in this case) or later.

The new part number for the PA-H is 800-02747-06, while it is
800-03306-02 for the PA-2H (hardware revision 1.3). Be sure
to check this if you are having it replaced.

Confirm your PA details with the 'sh diag' command.

Rule of thumb with the 7200-VXR, be sure to always ask your
supplier to provide the latest hardware revision supported
for your PA's or controllers. You may also check
www.cisco.com for any FN's that have been issued for router
parts so you know what you need to order. The link above
provides the minimum supported hardware revisions for most
supported PA's on the VXR chassis.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.